The von Karman Institute (VKI) is a world-renowned non-profit international educational and scientific organization created in 1956 providing post-graduate education specialized in fluid dynamics and encourages “training in research through research”. This center of excellence has a permanent staff of 140 persons and educates some 180 students from different NATO states each year. The Institute performs experimental and numerical research in the fields of Aeronautics and Aerospace, Turbomachinery and Propulsion, as well as the Environment and Industrial Processes and carries out research contracts for industry. These researchers are working on the aircraft engines of tomorrow, less noisy, more ecological, on the architecture of our cities to reduce drafts and pollution, on the dynamics of fluids in general.
Fluid Dynamics are present in numerous problems affecting the civilian and industrial world. The von Karman Institute contributes to finding solutions in various domains. VKI is a globally renowned Center of Excellence in science and technologies which are critical for Space and Aeronautics; Aero-engines and Propulsion; Sustainable Clean Energy and Chemistry.
In addition to further expanding VKI’s unique traditional skills and know-how in hypersonic fluid dynamics, the Institute will focus on a number of strategic research areas in the coming years, primarily:
- the study and design, on behalf of and with industrial partners, of a new generation of very quiet and efficient aircraft engines, low in CO2 or even without CO2, also operating on hydrogen;
- Anticipating the growth of commercial space travel, the design of small satellites that can return to Earth;
- the deep and accelerated transition to CO2 neutral energy production, thanks to research activities on the production of hydrogen and wind energy;
- the extensive decarbonisation of the chemical industry, in part by applying to the chemical sector the knowledge on turbomachines acquired over decades; and
- the study of liquid metals for complex industrial applications
VKI is a Unique Training Framework for young engineers and scientists in these critical technologies, with proven experience in international collaboration. Highly skilled alumni occupy top functions in member states industries, government research labs and universities
VKI invites you to discover its unique research facilities and wind tunnels covering all regimes, from low subsonic to hypersonic flow.
Interested? Check if you meet the eligibility criteria (https://www.vki.ac.be/index.php/events-ls/practical-information-mainmenu-272) before registering.
- Full day trip (visit: 2 hours)
- Transportation by bus
- Limited to 30 seats
- Lunch included
- Fee (for transportation): € 60,50 (inc. VAT)